Sunday, January 25, 2009

Leaving Footprints in the snow - a first

Day 6 - I got up knowing that today was my longer run and that I had mentally prepared myself for running through my neighborhood no matter what the temp or weather. It was snowing and 12 degrees. I consulted my Runner's World guide as to how much layering to do and set off. My intention was to run for 40 sustained minutes. This one like the previous two runs turned out to be awesome! I actually logged a firsts. I NEVER left footprints in fresh snow because I NEVER ran in the snow before. That was such a cool thing to do. Hearing it fall as I ran was also very cool as I opted to try to get used to running with out my beloved iPod. It also had been so long since I ran for 40 minutes without a walk break that I don't even remember it. Yes, it was a little slick in places, but I learned that if I gave wide berth to previous lumps of snow on the street or tire tracks I avoided most of the slick spots. I am anxious about falling, but the mindfulness of yoga really helped me here. I can't stop grinning. :0)) I am a happy BTWG camper.

If you are reading this, I thank you. I am writing these long passages for basically two reasons, the first selfish, the second not so much. First, I want a good record of what each day brings during this 12 weeks and second, I really want to give somebody else out there the guts to try something they may be a little anxious about. I have always been the Queen of Excuses, not the Princess, but the Queen , so I really feel that we all have it in us to make progress. Once again thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. Good for you for get out there today. Thanks so much for you supportive words about quitting smoking. I cured my 'you need new shoes' excuse on Saturday. I am planning to run for the first time on Wednesday. Not ready to sprint for the interval training tomorrow yet- but thanks for being a great inspiration. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on Wednesday. I'll be with you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ginger.

    Way to go partner. I too ran outside this past Saturday and Sunday and had a good time. I love running in the cold, but I believe that is due to my upbringing in the cold north where being out in the snow was a given.

    Coach Chris is right about getting outside to do the aerobic part. Part of my reason for sticking with running is because it takes me outdoors to fresh air and beautiful elements -- including rain and snow.

    I am proud of you attempting this feat in such COLD weather. It was very, very cold. I can't believe you are a Queen of Excuses... not the Ginger I know.

    Keep up the great work.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying reading your posts! Keep it up!

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Loretta. Good hearing from you. BTW, your spread sheet is really cool. We are so lucky to have you set us up with this great tool!

    ReplyDelete